‘One stop shop’ for residents to open in Rowley Regis

Published 12th November 2019

A new ‘one stop shop’ for residents in Rowley Regis with a wide range of services all under one roof is set to open next year in Blackheath town centre.

Sandwell Council is preparing to take over the whole of the Blackheath Library building on the High Street and transform it into a welcoming, state-of-the-art hub for the community.

The scheme is also expected to increase visitors to the library itself and help local traders by boosting footfall along the High Street.

The hub will be a ‘one stop shop’ for residents to access council and other community services and will be equipped with the latest online and card payment facilities.

The building will continue to host community activities and provide advice, information and hands-on help with getting online as well as continuing to provide library services including the children’s library on the ground floor.

The library building – which has offices on the first floor – is currently owned by Black Country Housing Group (BCHG), which is moving its staff out to other premises.

In exchange for buying the building, the council is planning to sell four parcels of land to BCHG to build around 90 much-needed new homes.

Staff and services from the current Rowley Regis Local office will move from Payne Street to Blackheath Library building as part of this proposal.

Local people will be consulted in early 2020 to help ensure services at the hub meet their needs.

Land exchanges are expected to take place between January and May 2020.

The four parcels of land being sold to BCHG are the outdated council offices in Payne Street, Blackheath; the former Shaftesbury House site in High Street, West Bromwich; and council-owned sites in Meredith Street/Upper High Street, Cradley Heath and Birmingham Road, Rowley Regis.

The redevelopment of these sites over the next two to three years is set to improve the look of the areas and boost regeneration. Plans for these new homes will be subject to planning permission.