Garden trees provide many benefits to you and your family, as well as to your environment. On its own, it may not seem important, but taken together with all the other trees in your area, it genuinely does make a difference.
Removal of garden trees
Before you remove or request to remove trees from your garden you should consider the following
Trees have benefits:
- They reduce air pollution and make the air cleaner to breathe
- They help to reduce the air temperature during heat waves
- They can provide a shaded place to sit on a hot day
- Trees help in the fight against climate change by absorbing carbon dioxide
- Trees can provide a home for birds and pollinating insects - this could help flowers and food crops in your garden
- Trees can improve the appearance of your garden and soften the view
- Trees can improve physical and mental well-being
Planting garden trees
Planting trees in your garden, needs to be done with some careful thought, i.e. the right tree in the right place.
Things to consider:
- The type of tree
- The overall size of the tree
- The location; not planting too close to the house, other buildings or boundaries
- Nuisance to your neighbours, i.e. blocking sunlight, fallen blossom, leaves, fruit and branches etc
When choosing a tree preference should be given to British native trees that will do a better job at supporting wildlife and smaller trees such as fruit trees.