My Sandwell Login/Register

Housing Benefit & Universal Credit | Sandwell Council

Housing Benefit & Universal Credit

Nhood icon5

Housing Benefit is help towards paying your rent. You can only make a new claim for Housing Benefit if you are State Retirement Age or are living in temporary accommodation or special exempt accommodation. Claims can only be assessed and paid once the revenues and benefits section have received all the required information. Housing benefit claims are submitted on-line

How to claim housing benefit

Changes in Circumstances

If you are already in receipt of Housing Benefit and there is a change in your circumstance’s you must contact the Revenues and Benefits section as a matter of urgency on 0121 368 1155. Failure to do this may result in your benefit being overpaid or even stopped.

If you get a letter from the Revenues and Benefits Section about your Housing Benefit payment’s you must respond. Failure to respond will result in your benefit being stopped and you will be responsible for paying your rent.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is payment to help with you living costs. You may be able to get this payment if you are on low income, out of work or cannot work. Universal Credit has replaced Child Tax Credit, Housing Benefit, Income Support, Income Based Job Seekers Allowance (JSA), Income Related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) and Working Tax Credit.

Universal Credit is made up of a standard allowance and extra amounts for children, a disability that prevents you from working and if you need help to pay your rent.

You can make a new claim for Universal Credit.