Covid Winter Grant Scheme
This is a new government initiative, paid through the council, specifically to support households suffering financial hardship as a direct result of the impact of Covid-19.
The government has awarded councils money under the Covid Winter Grant Scheme designed for vulnerable households and families, with or without children, who are particularly affected by the coronavirus pandemic.
This means they are struggling to afford essential food and utility bills throughout the winter period and have no other available support.
Once you have submitted your application, we aim to be in touch within 7 to 10 working days.
Please do not send more than one application.
What is the grant for?
Food and utilities – to buy food or help pay household energy and water bills.
Other essentials like warm clothing, soap, sanitary products, blankets or other essential household items
It may not be spent on rent payments, other housing costs or managing debt or general financial hardship. Payments will be made electronically
Can I claim this grant?
To be eligible for assistance you must:
- Aged 18 or over, or
- A parent or carer, or
- Under 18 years of age and are pregnant or have dependent children or;
- Under the age of 18 and estranged from parents/ living without parental financial support for example living in supported accommodation.
- Living in Sandwell at the point of requesting assistance
- Had an adverse change to their circumstances as a result of Covid-19
- Had an unexpected change to their income or have had unexpected outlays which mean they cannot afford the cost of food, fuel or other essential household items
- Have no access to other funds – such as savings, help from relatives
- The council will issue a maximum of two grants per household to eligible applicants during the grant scheme period. Grants are subject to fund availability.
What information will I need to provide?
If you decide to submit a claim you will need to provide:
- information about who lives in your home
- proof of your identity and address
- contact details - ideally a phone number and email address so if your application is successful we can make an electronic payment to you
If you can’t provide this proof, please do still complete the form and we will discuss this with you.
You may make an application on behalf of someone else, you must provide enough information to enable us to contact them.
All the information you give must be accurate and truthful. The council will check information provided as part of your claim and may take legal action against you if you have falsified your position.
How will you decide if I qualify?
Once we receive your application one of our agents will call you to discuss your application.
Following the call, we will check your application against government guidance to determine if you are eligible for support.
We will contact you to tell you the outcome of your application.
If you are unhappy with the council decision you may request a review of the decision within 24 hours of being notified.
Review requests must be made verbally and we will respond within two working days of your request. The review decision is final.
Refer someone for a Covid Winter Grant
We want as many people as possible in Sandwell to benefit from this financial help and we will accept referrals from third parties.
If you know of someone you believe should be considered for one of these grants – please make a referral using our online application form.
If you are experiencing financial hardship there are also other organisations that may be able to help you.
If you need further help you can call our emergency helpline on 0121 569 2266.