My Sandwell Login/Register

Will my child be safe? | Sandwell Council

Updates from the council on Covid-19

Check the latest advice on Covid-19 →

Will my child be safe?

The key concern for most parents' when choosing childcare is whether their child will be safe, happy and well cared for. There are a range of safeguards in place to ensure that your child will be well looked after by people who are required to go through a range of checks.


All Ofsted-registered childcare providers must display their certificate of registration. To get a certificate of registration, providers have to meet certain legal requirements and safety measures.

Childcare providers Ofsted reports can be viewed online. You will need either the providers name or unique reference number (URN)

You should always make sure you visit a childcare setting to get a feel for the environment and the way care is provided. You need to be comfortable that the staff know what they are doing and have suitable systems in place – for example for vetting staff and carrying out health and safety risk assessments.

Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) 

The Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) now carries out the roles of the Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) and the Independent Safeguarding Authority (ISA). It oversees the requirement that all Ofsted registered childcare providers must get a DBS check for adults who look after children or have unsupervised access to them. (In the case of childminders, this includes other people living in the house over the age of 16.)

Change cookie consent