My Sandwell Login/Register

Financial support and help with childcare costs | Sandwell Council

Essential maintenance

Some of our online services will be unavailable between 8pm and 10pm on Tuesday 25 January due to essential maintenance. Apologies for any inconvenience.

Financial support and help with childcare costs

There are different types of financial support available to help you with the cost of childcare.

Help with childcare costs

This gives information about the most common benefits and support and how to get in touch with the relevant organisations, including: 

  • Universal Credit
  • Child Tax Credit - you can only apply for this if you already get Working Tax Credit
  • Tax Free Childcare
  • Free childcare for 2, 3 and 4 year olds (including the 30 hours extended entitlement)
  • Benefits you can claim if you are studying and have a baby

Childcare Choices from GOV.UK

All about government help with childcare costs, including 15 and 30 hours free childcare, Tax Free Childcare, Tax Credits, Universal Credit, and support while you study.

Childcare Calculator

Check what help you could get with childcare costs by using the online calculator from GOV.UK.  

Free Early Learning for 2 Year Olds

Free Early Learning for 2 Year Olds is funding for childcare sessions for 15 hours per week, 38 weeks of the year from the term after their 2nd birthday and is available to families who are accessing certain benefits and meet the relevant criteria.  It is not an entitlement for every 2 year old.

Early education / free childcare for 3 and 4 Year Olds - 15 hours

Early education / free childcare is available to all 3 and 4 year olds, entitling them to 15 hours per week (during term time) early education / free childcare place from the beginning of the term following their third birthday.   

30 hours free childcare - 3 and 4 year old extended entitlement

Details and how to apply for the 30 hours a week free childcare (during term time) for 3 and 4 year olds whose parents are working.

Tax-free childcare

Working families may be eligible for tax-free childcare to help with their childcare costs.  This can be used to pay registered childcare providers directly, such as childminders, day nurseries, after school clubs and holiday play schemes.



Change cookie consent