Keep on learning after age 16
Employment and learning options after age 16 years
Raising the Participation Age (RPA) was brought in by the government to encourage young people to stay in education and training until they are 18 years old. For more information visit the Department for Education website.
RPA is not the same as the school leaving age – young people don’t have to stay on at school - there are other options available:
- Sixth form
Support in choosing options
All secondary schools must provide independent careers guidance to all Year 8 to 13 pupils (12-18-year-olds):
- It must be provided in an impartial manner.
- It should explore the range of education or training options including apprenticeships and other vocational pathways.
- Advice should promote the students’ best interests.
Connexions Sandwell gives statutory careers guidance to young people who live or are educated in the Sandwell area.
- works with young people aged from 13-19 years - up to 25 years for people with Special Educational Needs (SEND);
- gives information, advice and guidance that helps young people make informed decisions about their future;
- is free and impartial;
- is delivered by highly qualified and experienced personal advisers and mentors.
During the COVID-19 pandemic contact us on 07917174735/07917174702 or e-mail us at: email@example.com
You can also contact the National Careers Service and speak to an adviser on 0800 100 900.
Help with education-related costs is available via the 16-19 Bursary Fund depending on your household income. This covers things like transport, meals, books and equipment.
For further advice on the financial implications of RPA, contact Welfare Rights on 0121 569 3158 or Sandwell Citizen’s Advice Bureau (CAB) on 0121 500 2703.
Sandwell education and training providers
- Bristnall Hall Academy
- George Salter Academy
- Holly Lodge 11-19 Science College
- Oldbury Academy
- Ormiston Forge Academy
- Ormiston Sandwell Community Academy
- Perryfields High School
- Phoenix Collegiate
- Q3 Academy
- RSA Academy
- Sandwell Academy
- Sandwell Valley School
- Shireland Collegiate Academy
- Stuart Bathurst Catholic High School
- The ACE Academy
- Wodensborough Ormiston Academy
- Wood Green Academy