Learning support (including support for specific learning difficulties - dyslexia)
What does the team do?
The Learning Support Team comprises Special Educational Needs Advisory Teachers for Learning (SENAT-L) including Specific Learning Difficulties (Dyslexia)
We are a dedicated team of highly experienced teachers committed to inclusion for all. Within the team, we have an extensive range of experience across the age range from 3-19, including special schools and alternative provision.
Our advisory teachers will:
- Assessment and review of individual pupils
- Advise on appropriate strategies and interventions
Provide training and monitor interventions
- Reading, comprehension, phonics
- Nurture Groups which address social and emotional needs
Provide strategic development work and capacity building within primary and secondary schools
- Assessment data analysis
- Provision Management
- Coordination of the specialist provisions for pupils with physical difficulties and medical needs
- Nurture - addressing social and emotional needs
- Moderate Learning Difficulties
- Sandwell Inclusion Quality Mark.
Develop nationally recognised assessment and intervention tools
- Enable Suite of Interventions:
- Enable 1:1 and Enable Plus (for children and young people experiencing difficulty with reading)
- Enable Numeracy
- Sandwell Early Numeracy Test as well as the Key Stage 2/3 edition
- Sandwell Phonological Awareness Reading Readiness
Provide support for:
- Special Educational Needs Co-ordinators (SENCos)
- Senior Leadership Teams in schools
- Teaching Assistants
- Newly Qualified Teachers
- Volunteer helpers
- Pre-school settings
- Critical Incidents
Advise on Local Authority committees, panels and strategy groups.
- Task Groups
- Assessment and Moderation Panels which look at providing additional support for pupils with special needs
- Wave 3 Steering Group looking at how to work with pupils who need small group or individual support
- SENCo Cluster Groups where we engage with special needs co-ordinators form schools across the borough
Deliver nationally recognised professional development for SENCos
- Postgraduate Certificate in Professional Studies for special needs co-ordinators delivered in partnership with the University of Birmingham, Dudley LA and Wolverhampton LA.
Specific Learning Difficulties (Dyslexia)
We are highly experienced advisory teachers with additional specialist qualifications in assessing and teaching pupils with specific learning difficulties (dyslexia).
- Identifying and assessing pupil needs
- Developing individual programmes of work
- Building capacity through training
Identification and assessment
- discussions with school staff
- views of pupil and parents/carers
- in-depth specialist assessment of the pupil's needs
- comprehensive written report including recommendations
- feedback and advice to school
Developing individual programmes of work
We offer tailor-made learning programmes matched to the needs of the pupil, advising on and demonstrating:
- delivery of interventions
- specific strategies
Building capacity through training
We provide small group or whole school training in areas such as:
- dyslexia awareness and identification
- dyslexia friendly environment
- reading and spelling strategies
- delivery of synthetic phonics
- phonological awareness
- Fun Fit - to develop and improve hand-eye co-ordination
- Language and communication disorders
- Dyscalculia (difficulties with the use and processing of numbers)
Working alongside support staff, we demonstrate delivery of specific teaching strategies and techniques.
You can contact the team by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 0121 569 2777. We are based at Connor Education Centre, Connor Road, West Bromwich, B71 3DJ.