Book a pest control treatment for fleas
There is a charge for this service
The council offers pest control treatment for fleas in occupied (not empty) houses.
If you would prefer, you can approach an independent pest control company.
Fleas can easily travel through hairs or feathers because of their streamlined shape. Their colour varies from light brown to almost black, but they are normally reddish brown and between 1-8mm long. Cat fleas are 2mm in length.
The flea can jump over 100 times the length of its body. Over three quarters of all infestations are caused by the cat flea which is mainly found in a cat's bedding and surrounding area. Bites, a deep red spot in a reddened area, can be painful and itchy and may not show for 24 hours. With there being a delay in bites showing it could be your getting bitten at another property especially if you don’t have pets yourself. They can live for 12 months without feeding, lying dormant until triggered by vibration so it is very important to stay in the property after treatment, bites may still occur but frequency should decrease.
What you need to do
- Speak to your vet about treating your pet for fleas.
- Flea bombs are not a very effective treatment.
- Make sure you regularly clean your animal’s bedding.
- If you are using a vacuum use a small amount of crawling insect powder inside the bag or cylinder.
- If you use our service a flea trap may be used just to confirm fleas are present.
- We recommend that you don’t vacuum carpets for 7 to 10 days after a treatment
- To make a treatment efficient we recommend the property is clear of any clutter
If you decide to use any flea treatments yourself, always read the label before you buy to make sure it is suitable and follow the instructions carefully.