Bromwich Hall - The Manor House Museum
Murder, grave robbing and insanity are all part of the story of this fascinating and unique building - the Manor House or Bromwic Hall has seen it all. Built by Richard de Marnham in the 1270s, The Manor House is now probably one of the most important surviving medieval timber framed buildings in the Midlands and the most recent building to become part of Sandwell Museum Service.
The construction of its great hall is thought to be the earliest of this type of construction in the country in a standing building.
The Museum was a public house from the 1960s and when it first opened was an extremely prestigious venue, where footballers and VIPs would dine. The pub closed in 2009 and the building is now back in the guardianship of Sandwell Council and looked after by Sandwell Museum Service.
We are slowly turning the building into a heritage visitor attraction and for use for a variety of community projects and activities so new activities are happening all the time. However please bear with us as the building is very much work in progress.
Bromwich Hall - The Manor House Museum is open for special events and activities, school holiday fun, some Bank Holiday Mondays and much more throughout the year and free guided tours and self-guided visits are available in the spring and summer on Sundays and Mondays as listed below; and at other times throughout the year as advertised on the 'What's On' section of the Museum Service web pages.
Please note access to the whole building is not available on special event days. If you are interested in seeing the whole building and learning about its fascinating story then please come along on one of our guided or self guided tour days as advertised. You could also book your group or organisation in for a private guided tour at a small cost. Give us a call for more information and availability. Call 0121 588 2985
April - September - Open days for guided and self guided tours and visits, special events and activities and pre-booked groups - 2020 open days will not be going ahead
October-March we are open for for special events, activities and pre-booked and regular groups as well as our fantastic Christmas and February half term programme of activities
NB: during school holidays, family activities take presidence so some rooms may be closed or have restricted access and the site will be busy with families during the week. Check out our what's on page to make the most of your visit.
- Please note that we are unable to accommodate pushchairs inside the house
- Assistance dogs only on site.
Bromwich Hall - The Manor House Museum Kitchen
Well I never knew that! Museum Musings
In the picture
Bromwich Hall, Great Hall
You can call us on 0121 588 2985. Please note that staff are not able to man the phones at all times. Please leave a message and we will get back to you as soon as we can.
- For general queries you can email us on firstname.lastname@example.org but please note that opening times details and links to our events and activities listings is detailed above. If you are looking to make a booking please call the house on 0121 588 2985.
Events and Activities
Getting to us
- Our address is - Hall Green Road, West Bromwich, B71 2EA
- Find our location on Google maps
- Find out how to get to us on public transport
- Free parking is available on site - drive through the double gates and turn right. Accessible parking is in front of the house.
Find out more.
You can follow us on twitter @sandwellmuseums
Museums for schools
Check out our schools activity sessions or call us if you have a bespoke project in mind.
Other visitor information
- Please note we are unable to accommodate pushchairs inside the building.
- Visit the new Discover Sandwell website with information about what's on in Sandwell and what there is to see and do. This site is being developed all the time.
- Free parking is available on site.
- You can find out more about the accessibility of the building with our access statement so that you can plan your visit