Grounds maintenance programme
Grounds & Estate Maintenance Spring and Summer Programme 2022/23
We are preparing for our spring and summer season, which will include:
- Grass Cutting – weather permitting we will start mowing on or around the end March however we are hoping that work will start before this on some grass plots – you can expect grass to be cut approximately once every 4 weeks, but there will be no collecting of grass cuttings. Some locations do have the grass cut more frequently, however these are limited to a small number of historic locations or formal areas.
- Weed Control – our programme to treat weeds on hard surfaces around our Council Buildings, Housing Estates, Parks etc is also due to start at the end of March. We will be aiming to treat all areas twice this year – Please note that weed control on and around Highways and Footways is now undertaken by SERCO as part of their Street Cleansing programme.
- Summer Bedding – we will be preparing and planting out our summer bedding plants in our Parks and formal areas during June;
- Sports – we will continue to mark out, maintain and renovate approximately 50 football pitches (depending on fixtures and bookings) and 4 bowling greens.
- Waterbodies – we have recently established a small team to help look after Council Pools and Brook courses. We are working on a programme of cleansing and vegetation management work to improve the quality of these locations.
- Hedge cutting - Due to legislation regarding nesting birds and their habitats, we do not undertake hedge cutting between March and August each year. From September we then carry out an extensive hedge cutting programme.
- Environmental Response Team – in January 2022 we established a small team to carry out cleansing and vegetation improvements to unkempt/overgrown areas – we will continue with this work over the Spring and Summer season.
- With Sandwell hosting the Commonwealth Games and the Queens Baton Route, we will be paying particular attention to the cleansing and vegetation in these area.