Private landlord advice

What you need to give your Tenants at the start of a Tenancy

There are documents that your tenant(s) should have when they start a tenancy with you. This is both a legal requirement and good practice, and helps gain a trusting and professional relationship between you and your tenants. The following are required:

  • Gas Safety Certificate *
  • EPC (Energy Performance Certificate) *
  • How to Rent Booklet *
  • Right to Rent Check *
  • Deposit Protection details (if applicable) *
  • Inventory Tenancy Agreement 
  • Emergency Contact Details
  • Repair Details
  • Keys! (and what to do if they lock themselves out)
  • Privacy Statement for data you hold for the Tenant *
  • Rent Payment Details
  • The Smoke Detectors must be tested on the day the Tenancy starts *

* Legal Requirements - Remember, failure to serve any of these documents means that you are unable to serve a Section 21 on your tenants to end the tenancy.