My Sandwell Login/Register

Landlord Resources | Private landlord advice | Sandwell Council

Private landlord advice

Landlord Resources

Here are some of the resources we have in place to help landlords. 

How To Let: This guide will help you to understand what responsibilities you have as a landlord, which will help you create a positive relationship with your tenant.

How To Rent: This guide is for tenants and landlords in the private rented sector to help them understand their rights and responsibilities. This is also a legal document landlords must give to tenants at the start of their tenancy. 

MLAS (Midland Landlord Accreditation Scheme): MLAS is a scheme to provide training and support for landlords who aspire to be highly professional. It is run by Homestamp, a consortium of councils, and public bodies. 

Homestamp: As well as running MLAS, Homestamp publishes essential guides for both landlords and tenants, available to download for free including an essential fire safety guide. Landlords can also use the Homestamp guide to do their own Fire Risk Assessment. 

Sandwell Private Landlord Forum: Our landlord forums normally take place approximately every three months. The forum allows the opportunity for you to hear experts talk about the key issues facing the private sector. You can network with other landlords and meet some of the council officers you might deal with. Dates for the forum are announced on our landlord blog. 

Sandwell Landlords Blog: Our blog provides advice and information to landlords in Sandwell. Stay up to date with latest news on Benefits, Council Tax, Regulations and Legislation changes and what it means for Landlords. Sign up to receive notifications of new posts by email.   

HMO Licence Application Form: If you have a property where there are more than 5 tenants in more than 2 households, then you will need a Licence. If you are the landlord of a House in Multiple Occupation, your property may need licensing. For more information please visit the official Sandwell Council HMO Website. You can apply for a licence by completing an online form. You will need to upload the following up to date certificates (EPC/Gas Certificate/Electricity Certificate/Emergency Lighting Certificate/Fire Risk Assessment/Fire Alarm Certificate/ Sketch plan and ID). You will need these saved onto the computer you are using to complete the application form so that you can upload them when asked. The application will take approximately 45 to 60 minutes to complete, however the application can be saved at any point and returned to later. Please also have telephone numbers and email addresses of the people associated with the property to add to the application form. 

Rent Well in Sandwell: Agents/Landlords can register on Sandwell Metropolitan Borough Council local pad to advertise private housing, houses, flats, lodgings and properties available within the Sandwell area FOR FREE. Once registered, you can start advertising your property/properties on the website. You will also have unlimited access to the Control pad, our latest web-based property management software. This website is available TO THE PUBLIC not only council tenants.