Private landlord advice
Electrical Safety Update
There are new regulations in place for Landlords where they are required to have the electrical installations in their properties inspected and tested by a person who is qualified and competent, at least every 5 years. Landlords have to provide a copy of the electrical safety report to their tenants, and to their local authority if requested.
Landlords of privately rented accommodation must:
- Ensure national standards for electrical safety are met. These are set out in the 18th edition of the ‘Wiring Regulations’, which are published as British Standard 7671.
- Ensure the electrical installations in their rented properties are inspected and tested by a qualified and competent person at least every 5 years.
- Obtain a report from the person conducting the inspection and test which gives the results and sets a date for the next inspection and test.
- Supply a copy of this report to the existing tenant within 28 days of the inspection and test.
- Supply a copy of this report to a new tenant before they occupy the premises.
- Supply a copy of this report to any prospective tenant within 28 days of receiving a request for the report.
- Supply the local authority with a copy of this report within 7 days of receiving a request for a copy.
- Retain a copy of the report to give to the inspector and tester who will undertake the next inspection and test.
- Where the report shows that remedial or further investigative work is necessary, complete this work within 28 days or any shorter period if specified as necessary in the report.
- Supply written confirmation of the completion of the remedial works from the electrician to the tenant and the local authority within 28 days of completion of the works.
Pages in "Private landlord advice"
- Private Landlords
- Apply for a HMO
- Housing in Multiple Occupation (HMOs)
- GDPR for Landlords
- Landlord Resources
- Help for your Tenant to pay the Rent
- Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS)
- How to end a Tenancy Legally for Assured Shorthold Tenancies
- List of Registered HMO's in Sandwell
- Rentwell in Sandwell
- Energy efficiency
- Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarms
- Legionnaires' disease
- You are here Electrical Safety Update
- Call before you serve!
- Secure and Sustain Model