Coronavirus - advice for low rise and high rise flats
During the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, Estate Services have continued to deliver essential services related to fire safety and public health for residents of Sandwell.
The aim now is for the Estate Services to begin a return to normal duties from 27 July 2020 and will start to phase non-essential tasks back into daily duties over a four-week period.
Estate Services will be making every effort to continue to deliver essential services during the ongoing pandemic. You can read more information on the frequency of services at the bottom of this webpage.
However, while we continue to provide the best service possible, there may be changes in the delivery of this service.
Your co-operation is appreciated, and please do not leave waste or bulky items in the communal areas at any time.
As an extension to the Caretaking and Cleaning Services provided to flatted estates, there is now an Out of Hours Caretaking Team which will provide ‘emergency’ cleaning and caretaking services from 6pm to 6am (Monday to Friday), 2pm to 6am (Saturday & Sunday).
The Out of Hours Caretaking Team will deal with items directly related to areas within and around high and low rise blocks that may be a threat to public health and safety including:
- Emergency cleaning e.g. bodily fluids, dog faeces, etc
- Bulky items such as furniture, carpet, electrical items, etc, that are considered to be combustible
- Communal glazing – e.g. broken partition glass
- In the event of an emergency or to address issues of an immediate nature.
Contacting the council
Wherever possible, please set up a MySandwell account to access council services, pay bills and report issues.
For people not online, call 0121 368 1166.
We continue to carrying out emergency repairs at present, while also starting on non-essential repairs that had to be put on hold in March.
Our Local offices are currently closed but staff are still working and supporting residents. You can email your Local for non-urgent matters:
Stay safe and help prevent the spread of infection
Please follow all Government guidance on staying safe and social distancing.
To protect yourself and others, when you leave home you must:
- wash hands - keep washing your hands regularly
- cover face - wear a face covering over your nose and mouth in enclosed spaces
- make space - stay at least a metre away from people not in your household
If you are feeling unwell, get a test and do not leave home for at least 10 days.
In our low rise and high rise flats:
- Only use lifts when no-one else is using them
- Avoid congregating in communal areas
- Keep in touch with vulnerable neighbours – by phone or internet if possible, keep at a safe distance of 2m (6ft 6in) from others
- Please wash your hands regularly – especially after using doors, lifts and handrails
Our concierge service is currently running from 9am to 9pm so please ensure you take your fob with you if you need to leave so you can get back in.
Frequency of Estate Services
- Fire safety/block inspections (once per week on low rise)
- Check for bulky items (remove when required)
- External litter picking
- Minor communal repairs
- Bin rotations
- Internal chute hopper cleansing
- Estate inspections to high rise
- External cleansing to gutters, parking areas, drying areas, etc.
- Weed control (weather permitting) - normally 2 to 3 sessions per season
- Entrances/exits and lifts (once per week on low rise)
- Sweeping to all communal landings/stairwells and chute rooms
- Mopping to all landings/stairwells and chute rooms
- Internal communal windows, high level cleansing (cobwebs/dust etc)