My Sandwell Login/Register

Temporary Exemption Notices (TEN) | Housing in Multiple Occupation (HMO) | Sandwell Council

Housing in Multiple Occupation (HMO)

Temporary Exemption Notices (TEN)

You will be able to apply for a TEN if you are new to HMO's and Licences or even if you are a new Landlord. You can apply for a TEN which will last for 3 months. You can apply for an additional TEN for another 3 months. After your second TEN you will need to either apply to get a full HMO Licence or not get a Licence at all.

Keep in mind that if you choose not to get a Licence then you CANNOT operate your property as a HMO.

If you don’t require a HMO Licence straight away, then applying for a TEN would be beneficial. If your property has a TEN on it, then you will not have to apply for a full Licence when your second TEN expires. 

If you apply for a TEN and we refuse it then we will provide you with a reason as to why it was not approved, an option to appeal the decision and the period in which you are able to appeal.