My Sandwell Login/Register

What happens if I don't Licence my HMO? | Housing in Multiple Occupation (HMO) | Sandwell Council

£150 Council Tax Energy Rebate - what you need to do next

The Council Tax Energy Rebate is a £150 payment to help with the cost of energy bills. The funding is provided by the Government and paid out by the Council. Find out what you need to do next. →

Housing in Multiple Occupation (HMO)

What happens if I don't Licence my HMO?

Landlords who have failed to apply for a Licence will be at risk of: 

  • Prosecution – which may result in an unlimited fine or a civil penalty up to £30,000.
  • Re-paying Rent to the tenant through possible rent payment orders for non-compliance. 
  • Being denied possession of a property under Section 21 the Housing Act 1998 due to non-compliance. 

We would encourage landlords who need their houses Licensed but have so far not applied, to do so as soon as possible. If we discover a property that is unlicensed but should be, there will be a penalty and the likelihood of prosecution, especially for landlords who do not declare their full portfolio of Licensable properties. 

If you are a private Landlord and are housing 5 or more people in 2 or more households then you need to apply for a HMO. 

If you are suspecting someone else in your neighbourhood to have an unlicensed HMO or just have some questions or concerns, then please contact us on: 0121 368 1177 (option 7) or email us: