My Sandwell Login/Register

Rent arrears | Sandwell Council

MySandwell, our phone lines and payments will be unavailable on Saturday 11 February and Sunday 12 February.

Normal service will resume at 8am on Monday 13 February. Essential maintenance means we will be unable to process MySandwell requests or payments online or by phone during this time.

Rent arrears

If your rent is not paid, the money owed is called rent arrears. Rent arrears are a serious problem and can lead to you losing your home.

If you are a council tenant and you have fallen behind on your rent, you need to contact us urgently:

You can email us using one of the email addresses  below

or call 0121 737 5148, 9am - 5.30pm Monday to Thursday and 9am - 5pm on a Friday.

We will come to an agreement with you to pay off the money you owe. 

Lots of people tell us that they find it easier to budget if they pay by Direct Debit. Find out more about paying your rent by Direct Debit and other ways to pay.

Will I be evicted if I do not pay my rent?

If you fall into serious rent arrears and do not comply with an agreement to pay you can be evicted.

What if I owe rent on a property I previously rented from the council?

Any rent you owe from a property you previously rented from us must be paid. If you are unable to pay in a lump sum you must contact us by calling 0121 737 5366 / 5167 to arrange paying by instalments. If you do not pay the rent you owe, we can take you to court to get the money back. 

Need help with benefits or debt?

For income advice and to check you are receiving all the benefits you are entitled to visit our benefits pages or contact our Welfare Rights Service.

You can get independent advice on your finances through a variety of organisations. However, to ensure the advice you receive is impartial and free of cost we recommend you contact either Citizens Advice Bureau, the National Debt Line or the StepChange Debt Charity.