Early help and care

Some families of children and young people with SEND will require additional help and support and may need help with accessing community activities whether these are universal or specialist. What is important is that this help is effective and that it can be accessed early to avoid bigger problems in the future.

This help could come from the Local Authority or from voluntary organisations and can come in various forms including:

  • equipment, aids and adaptations in the home
  • help in the home or with accessing community opportunities (e.g. from a personal assistant)
  • supported living
  • short breaks (community and residential)
  • accessing and using a personal budget
  • support from a family support worker or a social worker

The types of services that can be accessed, how they are accessed and who can access them does vary depending on how old the user of the service is.

Click here if the service is for someone aged under 18 or if you are the parent/carer of someone aged under 18

The way services are delivered to young people over the age of 18 has changed since the introduction of the 2014 Care Act. Click here if the service is for someone aged 18 or over or if you are the parent / carer of someone aged 18 or over