My Sandwell Login/Register

Getting around | Sandwell Council

Councillor surgeries this week have been suspended

In light of the recent tragic events in Essex and as a mark of respect, councillor surgeries this week (18-24 October) have been suspended. More details and how to contact your councillor →

Getting around

There are various schemes in Sandwell and nationally that can help you and your child with any mobility difficulties that you may have. 


Car parking spaces and disabled parking spaces in Sandwell

Blue badge parking scheme - allows you to use parking concessions to enable you to park closer to your destination. The blue badge can be used in any car but should be for the benefit of the child concerned

Disabled persons parking spaces - if your child has difficulty getting around, has a 'blue badge' and if you do not have off street parking you may be eligible for a disabled parking bay outside your house


Motability scheme - help with cars, wheelchairs and scooters for people who have the higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

Road tax exemption - if your child gets the higher rate of DLA in the mobility component you may be able to apply for a free tax disc

Public transport

Concessionary bus pass scheme - Some children over the age of five may be eligible for a disabled Bus pass which entitles them to free travel after 9.30am Monday-Friday

Ring and ride - door to door transport service for people with mobility difficulties

Disabled persons' rail card - discounts on train fares for the person with a disability and an accompanying adult

Planning a journey

To plan a journey anywhere in the West Midlands using a bus, train, coach, the Metro, by foot or by bike

School / College Transport   

Your child may be eligible for travel assistance to and from school or college dependent upon your circumstances. Please refer to the SEN School Travel Assistance Policy and the Home to School/College Transport Policy for further details.

To find out more about your child's eligibility, call the Education Benefits Team on 0121 569 8331

Independent travel training

We offer training in how to travel alone - through the GO4it Independent Travel Training Unit - to people aged over 11 who have physical and/or learning disabilities or difficulties.

For further information please email Angelina Dawson or Gemma McPyke or telephone 0121 569 4144.


Shopmobility is available from our shop at the New Square shopping centre or at West Bromwich Bus Station We hire out wheelchairs and motorised scooters. For details please ring 0121 553 1931 or email


For information on equipment for your child please see our adaptations and equipment page.

Advice, information and other support

Disabled Go - information about the accessibility of a range of buildings across the country including hotels, restaurants, colleges, tourist attractions, libraries, hospitals, leisure centres

Ideal for all - Ideal for All is a not for profit company and registered charity run by disabled people for disabled people in Sandwell. We provide a range of social and health care services for disabled people, carers and disadvantaged groups.

RADAR key - the RADAR National Key Scheme (NKS) provides special keys for registered disabled people to access locked public toilets around the UK .  You can apply for a key by contacting Sandwell Access Unit on 0121 569 3413.

Regional Driving Assessment Centre driving and passenger assessments for people who have suffered a disability such as had a stroke, MS or any other illness. Car seat clinics for disabled children.

The Mobility Advice Line the service offers free confidential impartial advice to disabled members of the public, their carers, friends and family about all aspects of disability

Disabled Motoring UKDisabled Motoring UK is the charity which supports disabled drivers, passengers and Blue Badge holders. It works with government and businesses across the UK in order to improve parking, refuelling, and access provision for disabled people, so that they can access the goods and services that they need.


A number of organisations can help plan for holidays.

Tourism For All UK information and help on finding accessible breaks, holidays and days out for disabled people, older people or carers of disabled or older relatives

Sandwell Parents for Disabled Children (SPDC) run play and leisure services for children and young people with disabilities in Sandwell

Disability Holidays Guide Disability Holidays Guide offers worldwide holidays, accessible accommodation and mobility equipment hire. This is a guide for all types of disability.

Disabled Holidays 4U is a disabled holiday's directory where travellers with low mobility can find all services related to accessibility.

More and more travel agents are able to provide information about facilities for disabled people. It is worth double checking that your child's needs can be catered for by contacting the holiday provider directly to ask them to confirm arrangements in writing. You might also want to consider checking your holiday insurance cover to ensure that it will cover what they may describe as 'pre-existing conditions or illnesses'

Change cookie consent