Tackling extremism and terrorism – Prevent
For guidance in emergencies including a terrorist attack, you can find more information on the Sandwell Council Crime Prevention page.
Prevent is the safeguarding part of the National Counter Terrorism Strategy and aims to stop people being drawn into or supporting terrorism.
The strategy focuses on three key areas, which are to:
- tackle the causes of radicalisation and respond to the ideological challenge of terrorism
- safeguard and support those most at risk of radicalisation through early intervention, identifying them and offering support
- enable those who have already engaged in terrorism to disengage and rehabilitate
Read our booklet - An Introduction: Prevent & Channel - this has information about safeguarding people from radicalisation, extremism and terrorism
We offer training to organisations and staff who engage with people who may be vulnerable to becoming involved in terrorism.
This training is open to Sandwell Council staff, community groups and other partner organisations in Sandwell (i.e. any educational setting, religious places, organisations that deal with vulnerable people and more)
To book this training, email Prevent_Inbox@sandwell.gov.uk
There is no single profile of a potential terrorist, but terrorist groups sometimes try to recruit those who are vulnerable and this can happen in person or over the internet.
Sandwell Council works in partnership with the police and other services to provide a multi-agency approach to supporting vulnerable people who may be at risk, before any crime has been committed.
This multi-agency approach is called Channel. It is a safeguarding process where professionals discuss the best way to support individuals, put plans in place and try to draw them away from extremism. This usually happens with the help of loved ones and support workers.
If you or anyone else is in immediate danger, you must contact the police by calling 999.
If you have concerns that someone may be vulnerable to extremism, then please help them and report as follows:
- Under 18: Email West Midlands Police at CTU_GATEWAY@west-midlands.pnn.police.uk, Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) at Access_Team@sandwellchildrenstrust.org and Sandwell Council at Prevent_Inbox@sandwell.gov.uk
- 18 and over: Email West Midlands Police CTU_GATEWAY@west-midlands.pnn.police.uk and Sandwell Council at Prevent_Inbox@sandwell.gov.uk
Sandwell Prevent referral process
You can see what happens you report a concern in our Prevent referral map.
If you require further information on Prevent in Sandwell, or have concerns of a non-urgent nature, you can contact us by emailing Prevent_Inbox@sandwell.gov.uk
You can report suspected terrorism online or contact the confidential Anti-Terrorism hotline on 0800 789 321.
Local Counter Terrorism Police Unit CTU_GATEWAY@west-midlands.pnn.police.uk
Action Counters Terrorism – Counter Terrorism Police's online reporting website
ACT Early – Advice, support and guidance for safeguarding the vulnerable and preventing terrorism
Educate Against Hate – UK Government micro site about tackling extremism and hate
NSPCC information pages about extremism
Childline – advice for children