Wednesbury Heritage Action Zone and Active Travel Fund consultation
This webpage explains more about the consultation on the Wednesbury High Street Heritage Action Zone (HSHAZ) and Active Travel Fund (ATF) proposals. Find out more about the Wednesbury Heritage Action Zone.
What is the ‘Public Realm’ and ‘Active Travel’?
As part of the Wednesbury High Street Heritage Action Zone (HSHAZ) project, we are proposing improvements to the ‘public realm’ around Market Place. The public realm is a space that is open and accessible to all people. This might include roads, pavements, public squares and green spaces.
For the Wednesbury HSHAZ, this includes:
- The paved area around the Clock Tower
- The roads and pavements around Market Place
- Market Place Short Stay Car Park
- Any street furniture (examples include benches, waste bins, lamp posts).
There are also wider transportation and highway proposals complementing the HSHAZ project. Active travel proposals to be delivered as part of the Active Travel Fund consist of walking and cycling infrastructure improvements which aim to improve our physical and mental health. Encouraging more journeys by active travel will improve health, quality of life and the environment, and local productivity, while at the same time reducing costs to the public purse. These are substantial ‘win-wins’ that benefit individual people and the local community in Wednesbury.
What are the proposals?
This artist's impression is for illustrative purposes only.
You can download a PDF of the proposals.
There are two main parts of the Wednesbury HSHAZ proposals:
Larger public space in Market Place
This will involve re-paving the area around the clock tower with higher quality materials to create a more inviting space and the removal of the Short Stay car park to create a public space for community use that may include events. There are proposals to re-locate the disabled parking spaces within close proximity.
Location of Wednesbury Market within Market Place and Union Street
There is a proposal to re-locate Wednesbury Market from the western end of Union Street to the top end of Market Place with some additional space at the eastern end of Union Street. The relocated market would comprise of new stalls which will incorporate additional environmental improvements such as solar-powered lighting. The stalls would be available for cultural and community use and town centre events in addition to market use.
Active Travel Improvements in Wednesbury
We are also proposing Active Travel improvements including:
- Reducing the speed and amount of traffic passing through Market Place by introducing a one-way system and some traffic calming, making it a more pleasant environment for pedestrians and cyclists.
- Reducing some parking provision on Market Place and on some adjacent roads to create wider footways to encourage people to walk or cycle into the town centre or to use other under-utilised car parks on the outskirts of the town centre and encourage people to walk to Market Place from there.
- Implementing new cycle infrastructure, including more cycle parking
- Improved crossing points for pedestrians
When is the consultation?
The consultation has now closed and we are analysing your feedback..