My Sandwell Login/Register

Animal health and welfare | Sandwell Council

Animal health and welfare

Keeping farm animals

You must register with the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) if you want to keep cattle, sheep, goats or pigs. This applies even if you only keep one animal.

There are laws in place to stop the spread of disease in farm animals. Some diseases such as avian influenza and foot and mouth disease are notifiable and must be reported

Importing dogs and cats

If you are importing dogs, cats or ferrets into the UK, you must make sure that you comply with importation rules.

Licensing and registering animal businesses

The council's environmental health team issues licences for:

  • Dog kennels and catteries
  • Dog breeders
  • Exotic pets
  • Performing animals
  • Pet shops
  • Riding establishments
  • Zoos

To apply for one of these licences or for more information, see Animal Licences

If you’re concerned about how an animal business is being run or believe someone is running an animal business without a licence, please contact the environmental health team

You may also be interested in: