Updates from the council on coronavirus

Check the latest advice on COVID-19 →

Building and construction licences

Cooling tower notification

If you control non-domestic premises you must ensure that you notify the local authority of any cooling tower or evaporative condenser (notifiable devices) on the premises.

Notification must be in writing (including by electronic means) on a form approved by the Health & Safety Executive.

You must notify the local authority of any changes to the notification information within one month of the change, in writing.

If the device ceases to be a notifiable device you must notify the local authority or island or district council in writing as soon as possible. You can view a summary of the regulation relating to this licence.


Will Tacit Consent Apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period, or

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact it. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or use the contact details below.



Failed Applications

For failed applications or Licence Holder Redress please contact

Health and Safety
Environment House
PO Box 42
Lombard Street
West Bromwich
B70 8RU

Tel: 0121 569 6600
Fax: 0121 569 6599
Email: ehts_enquiries@sandwell.gov.uk
Opening Hours: Monday - Thursday 9.00am - 5.30pm, Friday 9.00am - 5.00pm

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK , Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.