Our offices are closed over Christmas and on New Year's Day

Check your bin day, pay a bill or report a problem →

Privacy Notice - Register Office

Data Protection Law – Consent

Under data protection law, Sandwell Council needs your consent to process your personal data for the purpose of:

 Birth, death and marriage registrations
Tell Us Once
Civil Partnership registrations
Notices of marriage / civil partnership
Birth, death and marriage certificate applications
Nationality Checking Service
Nationality Document Return Service / Joint Citizenship and Passport 
European Passport Return Service
Citizenship Ceremonies
Renewal of Vows Ceremonies
Naming Ceremonies

You are not obliged to give this data, and if you refuse it will not affect any other dealings you have with the Council.

Who we are

Sandwell Council is the Data Controller for the information held about you for this purpose/these purposes. Contact details:

Sandwell Metropolitan Borough Council,
Sandwell Council House,
Freeth Street,
B69 3DB.

Telephone 0121 569 2200.

The Data Protection Officer can be contacted at the above address and through email at dp_officer@sandwell.gov.uk or Tel 0121 569 3232

As a Public Authority we do not have a representative in any other member states of the EU.

How information about you will be used

Birth, death, marriage registrations, notices of marriage and civil partnership, civil partnership and certificate application data will be obtained from the informant and retained at Sandwell Register Office for a specified period of time as per legislation.

Birth, death and marriage registration data is forwarded to the Registrar General under legislation.

Tell Us Once information obtained  at death registration with the consent of the informant will be forwarded to The Department of Work and Pensions and other Sandwell Council departments as per legislation.

Referrals are made to the Black Country Coroners Service during death registrations under legislation.

Information regarding a ceremony booking is obtained with the consent of the party or parties concerned and only retained for the period of time necessary to complete the ceremony registration.

Notices of marriage / civil partnership are shared under legislation with other local authorities  and registration authorities in England and Wales in order to complete marriage / civil partnership ceremonies and registrations.

Certificates of No Impediment for marriage abroad, issued following a notice of marriage are only given to the couple for them to pass on to the appropriate authorities in that given country.

Nationality Checking Service, Nationality Document Return Service / Joint Citizenship and Passport and European Passport Return Service applications will be processed and forwarded to the Home Office in accordance with legislation.  Once Citizenship is granted data will again be shared with the Home Office under legislation.

Your Rights

You are entitled to know what personal data Sandwell Council is processing about you. If you want to obtain the data, or if you want to exercise any of your other rights about the processing of the data, you can contact the Data Protection Officer – contact details above.

You have the right to:

  • have your personal data corrected if it is inaccurate or incomplete.
  • ask for your personal data used for this purpose to be erased (even if you have previously given consent for the data to be processed by Sandwell Council).
  • ask for your personal data to be supplied in a commonly used format, where the processing is carried out by automated means, so it can be sent to another organisation.

You can also ask for the processing of your personal data to be restricted if:

  • it is inaccurate.
  • it is unlawful but you do not want it to be deleted.
  • it is due to be deleted but you require it kept because of a legal claim .
  • you have objected to the processing of the data and you are waiting for a decision about the objection.

You can ask the council to stop processing your data at any time by withdrawing your consent. You can do this by the same method you gave us the information or by contacting the Data Protection Officer.

For more information about your rights you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office, which is the supervisory authority for the United Kingdom.
Contact details are:

  • www.ico.org.uk
  • Email: casework@ico.org.uk
  • Tel: 0303 123 1113
  • Write to: Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire SK9 5AF