Get copies of certificates
Copy certificates for birth, death and marriage can by supplied for births, marriages and deaths that occurred in Sandwell or (or if it was pre-1974) the towns that previously made up the area (Smethwick, Oldbury, Rowley Regis, Tipton, Wednesbury and West Bromwich).
If you request a certificate and we find that the birth, marriage or death did not occur in Sandwell, your payment will not be refunded.
Please note - the certificate fee includes a record search fee and is non-refundable.
How much do copies of certificates cost?
- A birth or death certificate at the time of registration is £11. The certificate can be produced and payment taken as part of the appointment
- After registration, copies of older certificates from the archives cost £11 each including 2nd class postage
Our usual service standard is to post certificates within four working days. We are currently dealing with a very high demand for certificates and we anticipate that certificates will be issued within 10 days working days, if you do not require a priority certificate but have an urgent need to have your certificate posted within four days then please get in touch.
- See below for priority certificates
- Apply online if you need a copy of a certificate urgently. We offer a priority service which costs £35.
- The times below are for certificates applied for on working days, if the application is made over the weekend or on bank holidays then certificates will be available from the next working day
- If you apply for a priority certificate before 12 noon the certificate will be ready for collection by 3PM on the same day or can be posted by 1st class post.
If you apply for a priority certificate after 12 noon the certificate will be ready for collection after 10am on the following day or can be posted by 1st class post after 10am.
Collection will be from Sandwell Register Office, High Street, West Bromwich, B70 8RJ
- Apply for a copy of a birth, marriage or death certificate
You may also find the West Midlands Births, Marriages and Deaths website useful
Correcting a mistake on a certificate
Sometimes, information on a birth, marriage or death certificate is incorrect.
Please note that only mistakes, and not changes, can be amended on original certificates, such as spelling mistakes in names.
Charges for correcting a mistake on a certificate are as follows:
- New or additional forename or forename(s) given to a child within 12 months after the registration of the birth: £40
- Correction of a birth or death entry not referred to the Registrar General: £75
- Correction of a birth, death or marriage entry referred to the Registrar General: £90