My Sandwell Login/Register

Payment of Housing Benefit | Sandwell Council

Supporting Sandwell with the cost of living

Supporting you to make the most of your money and find help if you need it. Find out more about how we're Supporting Sandwell. →

Payment of Housing Benefit

Payment of Housing Benefit will depend on the type of tenancy you have.

  • If you are a Sandwell Homes or Riverside tenant your benefit will go directly to them.
  • If you are a Housing Association tenant your benefit can go either directly to them or to yourself.
  • If you are a private tenant whose claim started before 7 April 2008 your benefit can go either to you or your landlord.
  • If you are a private tenant  and your claim started on or after 7 April 2008 your claim will be based on local housing allowance. This is always paid directly to you (to a bank, building society or credit union account) unless special circumstances apply. Please note payment cannot be made into a post office account.  

Don't have a bank account?

You may wish to consider opening an account with a credit union - an informal bank owned by its members which offers a range of financial services to people who might have difficulty getting these from high street banks.

For further information see Sandwell's 6 Towns Credit Union.

Need help?

If you require any further information on how to claim please contact us.