My Sandwell Login/Register

Household Support Fund - Frequently asked questions about the £110 payment for pensioners | Household Support Fund | Sandwell Council

Household Support Fund

Household Support Fund - Frequently asked questions about the £110 payment for pensioners

Sandwell Council is paying £110 to pensioners who receive Council Tax Reduction, funded by the Household Support Fund.

If you are eligible, we wrote to you in July or August 2022 with details of how to claim your £110 payment at the Post Office.

Frequently asked questions

Q: Can someone collect the payment on my behalf?

A: Yes. If you are unable to get to a Post Office, a carer or authorised individual can collect the payment on your behalf.

To do this you will need to provide them with a signed letter of consent to collect the payment for you.

They must also take official ID for themselves and a piece of official identification for the person they are claiming on behalf of. Official identification can be one of the following:

  • Your Council Tax bill or Council Tax Reduction letter, or;
  •  A utility bill (an electricity bill, gas bill or telephone bill that must show your name and your current address), or;
  • Your driving licence.

If you are collecting on someone else's behalf, you must have your own form of ID and a piece of ID for the person who you are collecting the payment for as well as a letter saying they consent to you collecting the payment for them.

Q:  Is there an expiry date or limit on when the payment must be claimed from the Post Office? 

A:  Yes. You must collect the payment within three months of the date on the letter.

Q:  What if the letter with the Post Office voucher has been lost or damaged?

A:  You will need to report this by contacting the benefits team. You can also call the benefits team on 0121 368 1155 or Welfare Rights on 0121 569 3158.
If you contact us to say you have lost or damaged the letter, we will check if the payment has already been claimed. If the payment has not been claimed, we will cancel the old voucher and issue you with a new one which we'll send in the post.

Q:  Do I have to pay this money back?     

A:  No.  this is a one-off payment to help with cost of living. 

Q: What happens if I don’t claim the payment at the Post Office?  

A: If you have not claimed the payment within three months, we will credit the amount to your Council Tax account.  

Q: I’m not on Council Tax Reduction but have received a letter. Am I still entitled to the payment?   

A: Yes, you are. Please follow the instructions on the letter and claim your payment at the Post Office.

Q: I’m a pensioner and receive Council Tax reduction but I have not received a letter?

A: Letters are being sent out over a 4-week period so you should get yours by the end of August 2022. To be eligible for this payment you must have reached pensionable age by 1 April 2022 and you must receive Council Tax Reduction. 
If you not heard from us by the end of August and meet the above criteria you must contact the benefits team.

Pages in "Household Support Fund"

  1. Household Support Fund
  2. You are here Household Support Fund - Frequently asked questions about the £110 payment for pensioners