If you are a Sandwell tenant or leaseholder living in a council or housing association property, find out more about the Housing Ombudsman and how they can help you.

Date and time

Monday 22 January 2024



Council Chambers
Sandwell Council House
Freeth Street
B69 3DB


Places are limited, please book early to avoid disappointment 

Book your free ticket

Richard Blakeway, the Housing Ombudsman for England, will be speaking at this event. You will have the chance to ask Richard questions on all aspects of the Housing Ombudsman service. 

The Housing Ombudsman is a government organisation which can help if you have a complaint that you don’t think has been dealt with well by your housing provider, or if you’re unhappy with the outcome.

Find out more about the Housing Ombudsman

Advice if you have a housing issue or complaint

As a housing provider, Sandwell Council aims to resolve any issues faced by our tenants. We welcome feedback where this isn’t the case so we can put it right at the earliest opportunity.

You can request a wide range of services online via MySandwell my.sandwell.gov.uk

If you need to contact us by phone, call 0121 569 6000 for council housing repairs and 0121 368 1166 for any other housing enquiry.

If you’re not satisfied with the outcome, please contact our Customer Feedback Team via MySandwell, email customer_services@sandwell.gov.uk or call 0121 569 7867. Or write to Customer Feedback Team, Sandwell Council, Roway Lane, Oldbury, B69 3ES