West Smethwick Park
Join in at West Smethwick Park
Now work has begun to transform West Smethwick Park, we have activities running for the whole community to get involved in.
West Smethwick Park amateur photography competition
Do you love West Smethwick Park?
If so, you can help us celebrate the park’s 125th anniversary by taking part in our calendar photography competition. We want you to get your camera out and take photos of our wonderful park. Enter your photos into our competition and yours could be chosen to appear in the 2021 West Smethwick Park calendar to be sold by the Friends of West Smethwick Park. All money we raise will contribute to our Friends group’s activities and your name will appear on the calendar alongside your photo (unless you wish to be uncredited).
The competition will have three rounds through the year, each with its own theme.
- 1 January 2020 - 31 March 2020 – The theme is Together
- 1 April 2020 - 30 June 2020 – The theme is Movement
- 1 July 2020 - 11 October 2020 – The theme is Colour
We have five rules:
- Photos must be taken at West Smethwick Park during the specific time that the competition round is running.
- There must be no identifiable people in the photo.
- Photos need to be landscape/horizontal (not portrait).
- The image must be high resolution and of a good enough quality to reproduce in print. We recommend images are, at the very least, 3,000 pixels wide – the higher quality the better.
- You must be an amateur photographer.
Each round will be judged by a different group or partner – judges will be announced over the course of the competition. The winning four photos in each round will feature in the 2021 calendar. Sorry, we cannot accept drone photography.
To enter, email your photos marked ‘WSP Photo Competition’ by the last date of the entry round to firstname.lastname@example.org or post to West Smethwick Park Competition, Parks and Green Spaces, Sandwell Council Operations & Development Centre, Direct 2 Industrial Park, Roway Lane, Oldbury, West Midlands, B69 3ES.
Don’t forget to include your name, a contact number, where in the park your photo was taken and the date the photo was taken. We will accept a maximum of two entries per person per competition round.
For further information email email@example.com or phone 0121 569 4247
First Saturday of each month - The programme has now finished for 2019 and will restart in Spring 2020.
A different woodland activity each month, in 2019 we had den building, nature art, pond dipping and bee & butterfly hunts
Held on the third Friday of each month - 2020 dates are 17 January, 21 February and 20 March. Meet at the changing rooms at 10.15am. Get involved in horticulture, woodland management and conservation. Age 16+ all welcome (under 16s must be accompanied by an adult).
If you want to find out more information or register to volunteer, please email WSP_Project@sandwell.gov.uk
125th Anniversary Celebrations
2020 is West Smethwick Park's 125th anniversary. There will be events, activities and projects running throughout the year to celebrate this milestone in the park's history
Junior parkrun is a 2k run for children aged 4-14 years, held in areas of open space around the UK and Ireland. They are open to all, free, and are safe & easy to take part in. One is coming to West Smethwick Park. It will be held every Sunday morning at 9am. We are hoping to hold the first one this spring so get yourselves registered and ready to go!
If you are interested in volunteering at Junior Parkrun or want any further information, email firstname.lastname@example.org
To register book your place online
Bird and bat box Trail
We are working will local schools to build and paint a number of bird and bat boxes that will form a trail in the park. the schools now have their flat pack boxes and will be building them over the coming weeks, the trail will be in place by early spring
West Smethwick Park - the restoration
Work has now begun on the £5.1 million-pound restoration and improvement project at West Smethwick Park. Read more about the project in our February newsletter.
This is probably the most exciting time for the park since it was opened in 1895. We have been awarded a £4.5 million-pound grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund’s Parks For People grant with the remaining balance from funded by Sandwell Council.
The plans include:
- Restoring the memorial to James Chance which is a Grade II-listed structure built in 1897
- Refurbishing the wall and piers and recreating gates and railings at the entrance gateways in West Park Road and Victoria Road
- Restoration of the drinking fountain
- Constructing a new pavilion
- Creating a new events area
- Constructing a new boathouse feature
- Upgrading the multi-use games area to include tennis courts
- Nature conversation improvements including woodland, grassland and wetland works
- New outdoor gym equipment
- Restoring the airmen’s memorial where a plane crashed in 1944
- The new pavilion will form the centrepiece of the restoration and the building will have toilets, a café, seating area and community areas that will be used for events and activities.
The lower level will be below ground opening out onto a new events area. The total floor space for both levels will be approximately 500m2. The roof will be a sedum green roof with a central light box that will reflect natural light into both the upper and the lower floors of the building and the small pavilion will remain in the park.
We will deliver a programme of outdoor and indoor activities as part of the Lottery grant. The programme will include sport, physical activity, art, nature, history and heritage.
We are also looking for volunteers to join the programme in a range of ways:
- Join the Friends of West Smethwick Park
- Managing wetland & woodland habitats
- Planting and gardening
- Heritage Projects
- Social media
- Delivering activities – sports, history, horticulture and nature.
Like our Facebook page - find us by searching "The West Smethwick Park".
If you'd like to find out more about the project or become a friend of the park, email email@example.com or call 0121 569 4247.