West Smethwick Park
Join in at West Smethwick Park
Now work has begun to transform West Smethwick Park, we have activities running for the whole community to get involved in.
From the first Wednesday of December, have a good look around the park and see if you can spot the 30 festive images in the trees - some are easy, others might be a bit harder to find. Can you spot them all?
First Saturday of each month - The programme has now finished for 2019 and will restart in Spring 2020.
A different woodland activity each month, in 2019 we had den building, nature art, pond dipping and bee & butterfly hunts
Held on the third Friday of each month - remaining 2019 dates are 18 October, 15 November, 20 December. Meet at the changing rooms at 10.15am. Get involved in horticulture, woodland management and conservation. Age 16+ all welcome (under 16s must be accompanied by an adult).
If you want to find out more information or register to volunteer, please email WSP_Project@sandwell.gov.uk
125th Anniversary Celebrations
2020 is West Smethwick Parks' 125th anniversary. There will be events, activities and projects running throughout the year to celebrate this milestone in the parks history
Junior parkrun is a 2k run for children aged 4-14 years, held in areas of open space around the UK and Ireland. They are open to all, free, and are safe & easy to take part in. One is coming to West Smethwick Park. It will be held every Sunday morning at 9am. We are hoping to hold the first one in November so get yourselves registered and ready to go!
If you are interested in volunteering at Junior Parkrun or want any further information, email firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information visit https://support.parkrun.com/hc/en-us/articles/200565593-What-is-parkrun-
To register book your place online
Throughout 2020 we will be holding a photography competition to showcase the park in all its glory and produce a calendar at the end of the year.
Bird and Bat box Trail
We are working will local schools to build and paint a number of bird and bat boxes that will form a trail in the park. the schools now have their flat pack boxes and will be building them over the coming weeks
West Smethwick Park - the restoration
Work has now begun on the £5.1 million-pound restoration and improvement project at West Smethwick Park. Read more about the project in our February newsletter.
This is probably the most exciting time for the park since it was opened in 1895. We have been awarded a £4.5 million-pound grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund’s Parks For People grant with the remaining balance from funded by Sandwell Council.
The plans include:
- Restoring the memorial to James Chance which is a Grade II-listed structure built in 1897
- Refurbishing the wall and piers and recreating gates and railings at the entrance gateways in West Park Road and Victoria Road
- Restoration of the drinking fountain
- Constructing a new pavilion
- Creating a new events area
- Constructing a new boathouse feature
- Upgrading the multi-use games area to include tennis courts
- Nature conversation improvements including woodland, grassland and wetland works
- New outdoor gym equipment
- Restoring the airmen’s memorial where a plane crashed in 1944
- The new pavilion will form the centrepiece of the restoration and the building will have toilets, a café, seating area and community areas that will be used for events and activities.
The lower level will be below ground opening out onto a new events area. The total floor space for both levels will be approximately 500m2. The roof will be a sedum green roof with a central light box that will reflect natural light into both the upper and the lower floors of the building and the small pavilion will remain in the park.
We will deliver a programme of outdoor and indoor activities as part of the Lottery grant. The programme will include sport, physical activity, art, nature, history and heritage.
We are also looking for volunteers to join the programme in a range of ways:
- Join the Friends of West Smethwick Park
- Managing wetland & woodland habitats
- Planting and gardening
- Heritage Projects
- Social media
- Delivering activities – sports, history, horticulture and nature.
Like our Facebook page - find us by searching "The West Smethwick Park".
If you'd like to find out more about the project or become a friend of the park, email email@example.com or call 0121 569 4247.