Welcome for extension to car cruising ban

Published 10th January 2018

Car cruising injunction

Sandwell Council has welcomed the High Court’s decision to extend a ground-breaking injunction banning car cruising in the Black Country for a further three years.

The order can also apply to nuisance related to motorbikes, including anti-social off-road bikes on public land.

The injunction has had a major impact since being introduced in 2015, leading to a significant reduction in car cruising in many parts of the Black Country.

Some 17 people have been convicted at court for breaching the order, either by taking part in or organising a car cruise.

Councillor Elaine Costigan, Sandwell Council’s cabinet member for public health and protection, said: “This is very positive news for Sandwell and our Black Country neighbours as we continue to crack down on car cruising and motorbike-related nuisance.

“We were very happy to support the application to extend the order for another three years. We look forward to further successes as the council works with the police and other partners to stop this noisy, dangerous and illegal behaviour.

“We are also making full use of the council’s CCTV cameras to help police identify perpetrators, seize vehicles and bring those responsible before the courts.”

The four Black Country boroughs, led by the City of Wolverhampton Council and West Midlands Police, were successful in seeking a continuation of the injunction until 1 February 2021 at the Birmingham District Registry of the High Court yesterday.

The injunction bans speeding, racing and driving in convoy, performing stunts and causing an obstruction on a public highway.

It also bans associated behaviour, such as excessive noise, causing a public nuisance and risking injury to others and damage to property.

Anyone breaching the injunction risks being in contempt of court, for which they can face up to two years in prison and a fine. The authorities can also seize assets such as vehicles.

The police still have their powers to deal with traffic offences, including driving without insurance, driving an unroadworthy vehicle and driving without due care and attention.

Incidents should be reported to West Midlands Police on 101. In an emergency, always dial 999.

Read more about the successful application to extend the injunction order