Waste removal warning for residents

Published 15th August 2016


Residents having work done on their homes and gardens this summer are being reminded to check anyone they employ has a waste carrier licence.

Companies and individuals who take away rubble, garden rubbish, old bathroom fittings and other large items must be signed up to the scheme to legally dispose of waste.

Unscrupulous traders who aren’t signed up to the scheme often dump the rubbish instead of disposing of it responsibly.

Traders who transport waste and do not have a licence can be fined up to £5,000.

Leader of Sandwell Council Councillor Steve Eling said: “The rules are there to prevent fly-tipping.

“Householders may not know that if the person they employ to take away their rubbish dumps it illegally, the householder themselves could be fined. We don't want to fine residents, but it's the law.

“If you’re having rubbish taken away, ask to see the trader’s permit and check they have made arrangements to legally dispose of your waste.

“And if they are not registered, do not use them - it’s your responsibility to check.

“There’s also a risk that unlicenced waste carriers are untrustworthy in other ways – we have seen some individuals who didn’t have licences rip off elderly people by massively overcharging for the job they were doing as well as not having a licence.

“Fly-tipping is a problem in Sandwell that costs us upwards of £250,000 a year.

“We don’t want to see it ruining our parks and streets. And if waste from your property is illegally dumped, you could be fined.

“Before you employ someone, check that they are reliable and trustworthy.”

To find reliable traders, check out the council’s Tradewell register.

Residents are also encouraged to make sure the business or individual has a landline telephone number to make sure they are traceable.