Lightwoods House and Park - we need your views!
Published on 25th September 2012
Sandwell Council is hosting a week-long public roadshow event as part of the wider consultation for the proposals for Lightwoods Park and House.
The consultation roadshow will take place from Monday 1 October to Sunday 7 October.
The roadshow will be
showing plans, drawings and proposals for the £4.5 million Heritage
Lottery bid that the council is working on for the park and house and is aimed at getting people's comments on the proposals.
The council was awarded a 'round one pass' by the Lottery in July 2011 and since then the project team and the Friends of Lightwoods Park and House Group have been undertaking consultation and working with the local community to find out what people would like to see in the park and house.
roadshow will bring together nearly two years of consultation with local
residents and the project team will be displaying the restoration
proposals based on previous consultation outcomes.
Proposed improvements to look out for are:
- improved entrances and paths
- restoration of historic features such as the bandstand and drinking fountains
- a horticultural training centre linked to the Shakespeare Garden
- a new play space is also proposed near the existing multi-sports area.
The proposals will also show the restoration proposals for Lightwoods House.
The aim is to open it up for public use by providing a community café and terrace area, public toilets, a crèche, rooms for community use, conference and training facilities. Events such as weddings, exhibitions and fairs, along with commercial office space, would provide income to sustain the building.
The project team are inviting everyone to come along and see the plans for Lightwoods Park and House, and tell us their views and ideas.
This is people's opportunity to have their say before the council submits the final 'round two bid' to the Lottery in February 2013 so they are urged to attend and make any comments using the survey forms which will be on display
Organisers want to be able to demonstrate the high level of support for the project from the local community.
The roadshow will be held between 1 and 7 October 2012, times and venues listed below.
Non Staffed Displays:
- Monday 1 October - Wednesday 3 October - Thimblemill Library and Quinborne Community Centre
- Thursday 4 October - Saturday 6 October - The Dog Public House and Harborne Library
Staffed Events (Drop In Sessions):
- Monday 1 October - Thimblemill Library: 4pm - 7pm
- Tuesday 2 October - Quinborne Community Centre: 4pm - 7pm
- Wednesday 3 October - Smethwick Heritage Centre: 11am - 2pm
- Thursday 4 October - Harborne Library: 1pm - 3pm
- Saturday 6 October - St. Mary's Church: 10am - 2pm
- Sunday 7 October - Lightwoods Park: 11am - 3pm
The consultant team will also be offering a walk/talk session around the park for anyone wishing to discuss the proposals in more detail. This will take place from outside the house between 2pm and 3pm on Sunday 7 October.
For further details, please log onto the Lightwoods Park blog or call the project officer on 0121 569 4740.