Boosting skills and job opportunities
Sandwell's central location puts our workforce in the right place to fill new jobs created in neighbouring areas and across the West Midlands.
Sandwell’s workforce is young, ethnically diverse and plentiful – we have around 140,000 people of working age.
We want to work with businesses, schools and colleges to make sure people (both young and already working) have the right skills and qualifications for these new jobs.
The Combined Authority will help us build a future workforce by making sure:
- Sandwell’s share of the region’s adult education budget reflects the borough’s high deprivation levels and skills gap
- Greater links are developed between businesses and schools, colleges and local organisations
- University funding is more linked to business development
- Programmes continue to help young people into work
- Major regional construction projects provide jobs and apprenticeships for people right across the West Midlands, including Sandwell
- We do all we can to tackle long-term unemployment through the CA’s Hardest To Help pilot