Virtual School Head Teacher
Supporting all looked after children
Directors of Children’s Services and lead councillors for Children’s Services should ensure that:
- Closing the attainment and progress gap between looked after children and their peers and creating a culture of high aspirations for them is a top priority.
- Looked after children have access to a suitable range of high quality education placement options and that commissioning services for them takes account of the duty to promote their educational achievement.
- Virtual School Head Teachers (VSHs) are in place and that they have the resources, time, training and support they need to discharge the duty effectively.
- VSHs have robust procedures in place to monitor the attendance and educational progress of the children their authority looks after.
- The Children in Care Council (CiCC) regularly addresses the educational experiences raised by looked after children and is able to respond effectively to such issues.