Virtual School Head Teacher
Supporting all looked after children
Directors of Children’s Services and lead councillors for Children’s Services should ensure that:
- Closing the attainment and progress gap between looked after children and their peers and creating a culture of high aspirations for them is a top priority.
- Looked after children have access to a suitable range of high quality education placement options and that commissioning services for them takes account of the duty to promote their educational achievement.
- Virtual School Head Teachers (VSHs) are in place and that they have the resources, time, training and support they need to discharge the duty effectively.
- The Sandwell virtual school head teacher has discretion about how the pupil premium is used for all Sandwell looked after children of school age.
- VSHs have robust procedures in place to monitor the attendance and educational progress of the children their authority looks after.
- Most of the £2,300 will be distributed to schools as they are usually best placed to decide on the interventions and support that will work for the children on their role.
- The Children in Care Council (CiCC) regularly addresses the educational experiences raised by looked after children and is able to respond effectively to such issues.
The VSH should be the lead responsible officer for ensuring that arrangements are in place to improve the educational experiences and outcomes of the authority’s looked after children, including those placed out-of-authority.