Nationality Document Return Service
The Nationality Document Return Service (NDRS) is for applicants who apply and pay online only and would like to keep their requested supporting documents. The NDRS service can copy and send your documents securely to the Home Office on your behalf.
People wishing to apply for British citizenship have to complete the application and pay online with the Home Office.
Sandwell Council provides a document return service by appointment only.
Your appointment must be within 10 days of submission of your application to the Home Office.
For a fee, specially trained staff will copy and certify your supporting documents that were requested on-line by the Home Office when you applied. It is your responsibility to ensure that you provide all appropriate documents in support of your application.
We cannot advise which documents you should submit.
We cannot copy your applicant checklist, referee page with photograph, Life in UK test certificate and the passport application and photographs - originals only must be submitted.
The aim of the scheme is to both speed up the application process and enable applicants to keep their original documents.
The service is regulated by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner
Our fee is £58 per person (adult or child) which includes Special Delivery postage.
We usually have NDRS appointments available within one week.
To book a NDRS appointment please call 0121 368 1188. We will contact you as soon as possible, usually the same or the next working day to make a confirmed booking and take the fee payment over the telephone. Fee payments are payable in advance.
Appointments for this service are available every, Tuesday Wednesday and Friday.
If you need help with your application, we have a Nationality Checking Service.
Joint citizenship and passport applications
Applicants using the NDRS have the option to bring their completed passport application form (JCAP) and payment to their appointment to be processed alongside their citizenship application for an additional fee of £12 per application.
You must bring your completed passport application form and payment mandate to your appointment and two additional passport photos.
Your attendance at the citizenship ceremony will alert the passport agency to issue your passport they aim for you to receive your passport within 21 days.
Please be aware, if your citizenship application is unsuccessful, you will lose the fee that has been paid to the passport office.
Please read these guidance notes before attending your appointment:
- Applicants should complete sections 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 (if applicable) and 9 of the passport application form. You are not required to complete section 10 or have the two photographs certified. Details of referees will be collected as part of the citizenship application.
- The photographs submitted with both applications must be identical (for example, three altogether and from the same sitting) and comply with the photo standards as described in the accompanying guidance. Applicant’s names should be written on the back of the photographs.
- Section 1: JCAP child applicants: children aged over 15 years and six months must also attend the appointment. Children under this age can be represented by their parent(s).
- Section 2: Do not enter a mobile phone number in section two of the application form. Please write it on the top line of Section 8 instead.
- Section 6: Children aged 12-15 years must sign the passport application form.
- The payment mandate on page 25 of the passport application guidance booklet must be completed.