Regeneration - the pace steps up
So much depends on getting regeneration in Sandwell right - homes and jobs, educational opportunities, the quality of our shopping and leisure facilities, our transport system, our attractiveness to visitors who come here and spend money which boosts the local economy.
Millions of pounds' worth of investment have already flowed into West Bromwich, Smethwick and other areas.
As a result Sandwell is a better place to live, work, learn and spend leisure time in. Improved roads and better public spaces are making it easier and more attractive for local people and visitors to get around.
So far improvements in West Bromwich town centre include:
- our New Square shopping centre, with Tesco Extra and other 'big name' stores, Odeon cinema, restaurants and other places to relax;
- the state-of-the-art Sandwell College campus;
- a new police station;
- the start of a better 'look and feel' for the High Street;
- the vastly improved A41 Expressway junction;
- high-quality new business space at Providence Place;
- our new leisure centre;
We're not stopping there, though.
Our future plans - as we continue working with partners, investors and developers - include:
- new car parks and more road improvements for visitors and workers;
- the new West Brom building society HQ at Providence Place and University Technical College on the High Street; and
- more new homes, shops and other improvements around the centre.
Already under way in Smethwick are developments to boost housing, job opportunities, healthcare and education.
Residents, community groups and businesses have joined forces to shape a plan - now being carried out - for the Windmill Eye neighbourhood.
We hope that regeneration, jobs and healthcare in Sandwell will all get a boost from the new Midland Metropolitan Hospital planned for the Grove Lane area. The hospital may not be built within the period of this scorecard but we will continue working with our NHS partners to keep the plans moving forward.
Other plans for Smethwick include new or improved leisure facilities.
We have clear plans for the future in this area. Our aim is to continue to develop the things we do so that you, as residents, feel the benefit. Find out more about what we will do.
This is your chance to tell us what you think about Sandwell overall and the services that we provide.