We want you as residents to have long and healthy lives.
This means the whole council working together (and with the NHS) to understand the things that shorten lives - and do something about them. It means caring for people with disabilities and other needs.
We have a range of specific projects to help individuals.
To promote a healthy start in life for babies and children we encourage mums-to-be to stop smoking and make other positive choices about the way they live - and then, after the birth, to breastfeed and take advantage of immunisations. We will work with mums and dads so they are good parents.
We steer young people away from tobacco, drink, drugs, unsafe sex and crime. Our sport, physical activity and recreational programmes will help young people make better lifestyle choices as early as possible, cutting obesity.
Other specific projects include healthy eating programmes and physical activities for all ages to help prevent major illnesses like heart disease, Type 2 diabetes and cancer. Stopping smoking, cutting down on drinking and eating less junk food is not only healthier, it often helps people feel happier, be more confident, sleep better, feel less stressed and have more energy.
Sick people need to reach GP and other health services quickly. We will join up NHS health and council social services so that people benefit from the best possible care.
We will continue to give choice and control over their lives to those with long-term disabling conditions, the frail and elderly and people with mental health needs.
- Listening to the voice of users/carers, and their families through our complaints system, specific consultation and by encouraging feedback;
- Encouraging them to use services so they can live independently;
- Providing support to people who need to remain in their homes; and
Promoting 'personal care budgets' so people can buy services they need to live as they choose.
- We value carers' contributions to helping people maintain health and independence.
- We will support carers so they remain in good health themselves.
- We will ensure that everyone can access information and advice about the wide range of services and entitlements available to
- people living with care needs, and their carers and families
We have clear plans for the future in this area. Our aim is to continue to develop the things we do so that you, as residents, feel the benefit. Find out more about what we will do.
This is your chance to tell us what you think about Sandwell overall and the services that we provide.