Raising a family is one of the most challenging things any of us will ever do. Children need love, attention, patience, meals, clothes, guidance and boundaries - often all before 8.30 in the morning!
Sometimes as parents we have our own issues to deal with which can make the challenges even greater. It's not surprising that sometimes many of us find it hard to cope.
Parenting programmes will provide you with the opportunities to learn and improve your parenting skills, helping you understand your children's needs and helping you cope with present and future difficulties.
They also provide you with a chance to meet and share experiences with other parents and make new friends.
Changes parenting programme
Changes is Sandwell's own parenting programme. Changes uses a flexible and imaginative framework to support parents to cope with the challenges of raising their children. Changes is delivered in three age ranges 0-3, 4-10 and 11-19. The aims of the programme are:
- To improve parent's knowledge, confidence and skills
- To raise parent's aspirations for themselves and their children
- To reflect on how parents can support their children's development and learning
- To encourage parents to take credit for their child's success and achievement
- To know where to find information, advice and support on children's development and learning
Triple P (Positive Parenting Programme)
Triple P gives parents simple and practical strategies to help them confidently manage their children's behaviour, prevent problems developing and build strong, healthy relationships. The aims of Triple P are:
- To promote independence of families by improving parents' knowledge, skills and confidence.
- To promote non-violent, protective and nurturing environments for children.
- To promote the development of social skills of children and young people.
The Solihull Approach programme is for families who want to learn more about sensitive and effective parenting of a child between the ages of four and eleven. The aims of the programme are:
- To improve child behaviour
- To reduced parent stress
The Incredible Years
The Incredible Years programme is for families with serious concerns about the behaviour of a child between the ages of three and six. The aims of the programme are:
To improve children's behaviour
- To improve parenting practices and competency
- To reduce parent stress