Our Information Point directory isn't working at the moment

We apologise for any inconvenience, we hope it will be fixed as soon as possible.

Children with special educational needs and/or disability (SEND)

Latest news

The information on these pages has been put together to enable parents who have a child with special needs and/or disabilities (SEND) to find the information they are looking for in one place. 

There is information on a wide range of subjects and organisations. Information on this page relates to the latest news in the field of SEND both locally and nationally. There is an A-Z list of useful organisations and categories on the second page.

Consultation on changes to Sandwell's SEND Transport Policy

Sandwell Council is consulting on proposed changes to the Home to School/College and Adult Learner Transport Policy.The consultation will run between Wednesday 12 June 2019 and Tuesday 9 July 2019. Any responses received after this time may be considered but not included in the consultation. Once the consultation has closed, we will review the responses and prepare a report for Sandwell councillors on the results. They will consider any changes which may need to be made and will make a decision in August 2019. If approved by councillors, the revised policy will be operational from 2 September 2019. The online survey can be accessed by clicking here. You can also download the explanatory consultation document by clicking here.

The proposed changes are as follows:

  1. Creating one policy document to cover all home to school/college travel assistance to include adult learners.
  2. Operational changes in the way we provide transport as well as how parents can access SEND transport.
  3. Offering more children and young people training to develop independent travel skills and the use of sustainable travel modes.
  4. Clarity and provision for exceptional circumstances.
  5. Greater use of personal transport budgets.
  6. Simplifying the appeals procedure.

Swimming sessions specifically for children with SEND and their families

During all school holidays Sandwell Leisure Trust is now offering free swimming sessions reserved especially for children with SEND and their families. These sessions will provide a calmer environment for families to attend. The new sessions are:

Monday (Portway Lifestyle Centre 9-10.30 am and Tipton Leisure Centre 10-11 am),

Wednesday (Langley Leisure Centre 10-11 am) 

Friday (Wednesbury Leisure Centre 1.15-2.15 pm).

Please contact the relevant centre for details

New activity timetable and details of a new Family Club from Sandwell Parents for Disabled Children

Sandwell Parents for Disabled Children (SPDC) has published details of activities taking place during Summer 2019. If you need a booking form please contact SPDC using the phone number in the newsletter. You can also find details of a new Family Club which runs most Tuesdays in the summer term.

Changes to The Mental Capacity Act

The Mental Capacity (Amendment) Act 2019 became law on 16 May 2019. As a result there will be changes to the current system (introduced by the 2005 Mental Capacity Act) which covers situations where individuals lack the capacity to make decisions for themselves. It introduces the Liberty Protection Safeguards (LPS) which are designed to safeguard and protect individuals who lack capacity and may be deprived of their liberty during their care. One major change is that protection has been extended to 16 and 17 year olds who did not have protection under the old act. The new system will run alongside the old system for a year while the changes are bedded in. More information can be found on the Council for Disabled Children website.

Details of specialist short break services commissioned by Sandwell for the period 2019-2021

Sandwell has published details of the specialist short break services for children and young people with SEND it has commissioned for the period April 2019 - March 2021. Click here to see the list.

Parent / Carer Event in Sandwell to Explain the Education Health and Care Plan Journey

Sandwell SEN Team is running an event to help parents understand the issues around how an Education Health and Care Plan is issued. This event is taking place at Connor Education Centre, Connor Road, West Bromwich B71 3DJ on Thursday 20 June 2019. The session will run from 10.00 - 12.00 and 4.30 - 6.30. Places must be booked in advance. To book your place or to get more details contact the SEN Team on 0121-569-8240 or email them on sen_team@sandwell.gov.uk. Alternatively you can get more details by downloading the flyer

Resources to Support Children and Young People with Physical Disabilities

The organisation pdnet has produced a number of resources to support children and young people with physical disabilities. These include an effective practice hub, online training and a set of standards to help schools and other settings evaluate their provision. The resources can be accessed on the pdnet website. You will need to register using an email address to access the resources.


Pages in "Children with special educational needs and/or disability (SEND)"

  1. You are here Latest news
  2. A-Z by category