Aims of Religious Education in Sandwell
Religious Education is concerned with the deep meaning that individuals and groups make of their experiences and how this helps them give purpose to their lives.
The purpose of Religious Education is to help pupils to reflect upon the experiences and the mysteries of life and the contribution of religious and spiritual dimensions.
Religious Education should enable pupils to:
- Acquire and develop knowledge and understanding of Christianity and the other principal religions represented in the United Kingdom and particularly in Sandwell;
- Develop an understanding of the influence of beliefs, values and traditions on individuals, communities, societies and cultures;
- Develop the ability to make reasoned and informed judgements about religious and moral issues, with reference to the teachings of the principal religions represented in the United Kingdom and thereby develop confidence in their own beliefs and values;
- Enhance their spiritual, moral, social and cultural development by:
- developing awareness of the ultimate questions of life raised by human experiences, and of how religions can relate to them;
- responding to such questions with reference to the teachings and practices of religions and other belief systems, relating them to their own understanding and experience;
- reflecting positively on their own identity, beliefs, values and experiences in the light of their study;
- Develop positive attitudes:
- of respect towards other people who hold views and beliefs different from their own, and;
- towards living in and contributing to an inclusive and caring community and a society of diverse religions.