Doctor taking notes

NHS Choices

The NHS offer lots of services to support you if you or your child has special educational needs or a disability. There are details of GPs, dentists, specailist teams and lots more.

Black Country Sustainability and Transformation Partnership

The NHS and Local Authorities in the Black Country have formed a partnership to look at improving health services across the area. This is known as a Sustainability and Transformation Partnership and there are 44 partnerships covering the whole of England. Click here to view the Black Country Sustainability and Transformation Plan.

Sandwell and West Birmingham Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG)

The CCG is the organisation responsible for commissioning health services across Sandwell and West Birmingham. You can find information about services provided by the CCG  on its website.

If you have a comment/compliment/complaint about services commissioned by the CCG you can register this through the CCG's Time2Talk Service.

Birmingham Community Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

This organisation is the provider of school health services (such as school nurses) in Sandwell. Find out more about the services it provides in Sandwell.

Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust (SWBH)

This organisation is the main provider of Children’s community therapy, and nurse service (occupational therapy, physiotherapy, speech and language therapy and community children’s nurses). Visit the SWBH website.

Health and wellbeing

You can find information about a range of health and wellbeing services in Sandwell on the Sandwell Wellbeing Hub 

Sexual Health

The Family Planning Association has some useful resources about sexual health and people with learning disabilities


Coming to terms with a diagnosis of a disability or additional need can be very difficult and can often take a long time.

For many parents the most stressful time is when you first receive the diagnosis or are going through the assessment process.

Find here information and useful websites that can help you and your family through this process.

Assessing your child's needs

Most children's needs can be met by their mainstream school, sometimes with the support of specialists or some additional resources. The government has produced guidance for schools to help them meet the needs of children and young people with medical needs

For a small percentage of children with severe, complex and long-term special educational needs which stem from a medical need, the council may consider the need for a formal assessment which could lead to an Education, Health and Care Plan.


Clinical waste

If you are in good health, nappies, incontinence pads and sanitary products can go in your general household rubbish - provided they are in small quantities, adequately wrapped and free of excess liquid.

If you are a resident of Sandwell, there is a free service available to patients for the collection of clinical waste, such as syringe needles, soiled surgical swabs and dressings etc. Please call Sandwell Health Care Transport Services on 0121 507 3869 for further information.

Get fit and healthy

Leisure centres in Sandwell

There are lots of leisure centres around Sandwell run by our partners Sandwell Leisure Trust.

Portway Lifestyle Centre in Oldbury is a centre of excellence for people with disabilities offering a wide range of facilities including a hydrotherapy pool, fitness classes and much more. If you are Sandwell resident with a disability you may be eligible to apply for a concessionary leisure pass.

Healthy Sandwell, healthy you

Healthy Sandwell, healthy you can can save money and your health, find out about quitting smoking, alcohol and drugs support, getting active, mental health and wellbeing and healthy eating.

If you can't find what we are looking for in these page we put you in touch with someone who can help.


Pages in "Health"

  1. You are here Health
  2. Hospital and Mental Health Services
  3. Child Development Centre