Do you need planning permission?

Most new buildings or major changes to existing buildings need planning permission.

But many smaller changes, particularly to houses, don't need planning permission.

Improvements such as extensions, conservatories and porches are often covered by something called permitted development. These are changes you are allowed to make without the need for planning permission.

Permitted development

Some alterations to your home often don't need planning permission, including:

  • extensions,
  • roof alterations and dormers,
  • garages, and
  • hard surfaces and decking.

As long as the work meets certain conditions and limits, these improvements can be done under permitted development.

But you may still need building regulation approval even if you don't need planning permission.

Screenshot of the Interactive HouseYou can find out if what you are planning can be done under permitted development by using these interactive guides on the Planning Portal:

Please note these features may not work on mobile devices but you can look at a list of common projects.

If you do need planning permission, you can apply online

If you are still unsure about whether your development needs permission, please contact us by emailing

It is important you are sure before you start any work as the council does have the power to take you to court if you breach planning rules.