Updates from the council on coronavirus

Check the latest advice on COVID-19 →

Book a pest control treatment for ants

The council offers treatments for ants found inside a home (the property must be occupied, not empty).

There is a charge for this service (except for people who receive certain benefits).

If you would prefer, you can approach an independent pest control company.

What you should do

  • Ants nest in places such as lawns, flowerbeds, under paving stones and in walls. During late summer, winged male and female ants will emerge from the nest and swarm. 

  • If you have ants inside your home, try to seal all obvious holes or other places they are getting in and use ant powder which you can buy in most DIY shops and supermarkets.

  • To make sure you get rid of the problem, firstly you should locate the nest. This can be done by either looking for small piles of earth or by following foraging ants back to the nest. Once the nest has been located, dust the ant powder along ant runs and in any cracks or crevices. Dust the entrances to the nest well. Use the powder as instructed on the label.

  • If this hasn't worked, you can book a pest control appointment. There may be a charge for this.

Book a pest control treatment for an ant problem