- Monday: 10am - 5.30pm
- Tuesday: 10am - 5.30pm
- Wednesday: 10am - 5pm
- Thursday: 10am - 5pm
- Friday: 10am - 5pm
- Saturday: 10am - 4pm
- Sunday: 12noon - 4pm
Please note that although the Community History and Archives Service is based within the same building, opening times are different.
- Tel: 0121 569 4940
- 24 Hour renewals hotline: 0121 569 4949
- Email: email@example.com
- The library has full wheelchair access, including a lift to the first floor
- A hearing loop is available at the library counter and in all of our community rooms
The library houses Sandwell Community History and Archives Service (known as CHAS) where you can find out more about local and family history.
CHAS has different opening hours than Smethwick library, more information about CHAS opening hours can be found on the CHAS web pages.
Big Lottery funding
Sandwell Council was awarded £1.4m by The Big Lottery Fund as part of its Community Library Programme to transform Smethwick and Bleakhouse libraries.
The Community Libraries Programme is capitalizing on the strong community link that libraries already have. This funding has created new spaces turning libraries into community hubs that offer a range of activities to appeal to a wide section of society.
The Big Lottery Fund distributes half of the National Lottery good cause funding across the UK. The Fund is committed to bringing real improvements to communities and the lives of people most in need.
What will you find at Smethwick library?
- Books for all ages and tastes
- Latest bestsellers and much more
- Wide variety of magazines and newspapers
- Books in different languages including: Punjabi, Urdu, Bengali and Hindi
- Books on CD and in large print
- Latest blockbusters and classic films on DVD
- Asian language DVDs
- Free requests for items in stock in Sandwell
- Community History and Archive Service
- Public toilets, fully accessible including baby changing
- Free computer use - PCs shutdown 15 minutes before closing
- Free WiFi for library members
- Free internet and email
- Accessibility computers with adaptive software
- Separate children's computer area
- Online information resources
- Two community rooms which are free to use by the local community for non-profit organisations
- Community information
- Keep up to date with Smethwick library on Facebook and Twitter
- The library has a dedicated quiet zone. This can be booked by speaking to a member of staff to check availability.
- Variety of events and activities for all ages
- Homework support Monday to Sunday
- Activities for children
- Adult learning classes
- IT support
- Make friends with a book
- Family film clubs
- Job clubs and careers advice
Not a library member? Anyone can join Sandwell libraries - find out How to join.
Connect with your library online
Please visit our Sandwell libraries Facebook page.