Library news and events
The latest news from Sandwell Library and Information Service including some forthcoming events.
Download eBooks and eAudiobooks
Sandwell library members can download eBooks and eAudiobooks for free. We have a range of fiction and non-fiction titles available for you to enjoy.
To start using this service, download the Apple or Android app - search for BorrowBox. Once you have installed the app, enter Sandwell as the name of your library and create an account with your library card number.
Alternatively, you can go to BorrowBox to create your account and start using on a computer or laptop.
SHW (Sandwell Healthy Weight) are launching a brand new flexible weight management programme within all 19 Sandwell Libraries this week! Weigh2GO using Fitbit scales where you can weigh in at any time during your local library opening hours.We have also set up height charts to calculate your BMI (Body mass index).
If you want to find out more please pop into your local library.
Why not signup today!
Are you struggling to find reliable sources of information to support critical aspects of your life – such as your health and wellbeing, money, benefits or work?
Public librarians have brought together some of their preferred and trusted websites for these topics to help you find the information or services that you need.
Fully searchable by postcode, the information4living website links directly to local information in the region as well as key national sources.
Keep it down – people are reading!
Sssh - Sandwell libraries are proving so popular they are having to set aside quiet zones for people to read and study.
Library staff are setting up dedicated quiet ‘sssh zones’ in all libraries for those visitors who want a bit of silence.
Over the years all Sandwell libraries have become busy community hubs offering much more than just borrowing books. They are used by community groups, for art exhibitions, craft clubs, children’s holiday activities, for gigs, drama and dance – and now a little bit of them will be set aside during the day for quiet reading.
For more details on quiet zones, please contact your local library or email firstname.lastname@example.org
New COBRA service available for customers
COBRA is a comprehensive and continually updated information resource providing advice and support to micro-business owners, small firms and new business start ups.
- over 700 business start-up profiles and guides to business start-up ideas
- business information fact sheets - how tos and practical small business checklists, from business plans to personnel, tax to marketing
- UK market synopses - guides to trends and opportunities in a number of UK market sectors, with market research
- local area profiles - guides to business support in 290 local areas in the UK.
What libraries offer young people
Last year we carried out an extensive survey across Sandwell, to find out what young people wanted from the Library Service.
Here are some of the things we have done as a result of listening to what you want:
- We've increased the number of teenage fiction books
- New Xbox ONEs, Playstation 4s and 3D TVs
- We are now on Facebook and Twitter
- Free Wi-Fi is available in all libraries.
We'll be adding to this list later in the year, so watch this space.
- We will also send out regular information to your schools and colleges about activities and events that you may be interested in.
- You can also keep updated by signing up to our Facebook and Twitter accounts.
Every Summer we run a Reading Challenge to encourage young people to read for pleasure. This is aimed at children aged 4 to 11 years old.
Would you like to help us to inspire children to read and or help with the Summer activities?
If so, contact your local library for more details.