Family history records
Sandwell Community History and Archives Service and Sandwell Bereavement Services hold different types of records that can help you research your family history in Sandwell.
As well as church registers the Community History and Archive Service hold the following:
- We hold census returns from 1841 to 1911.
- These records are on microfilm, microfiche and online.
- Many of them have been surname indexed.
- Oldbury - 1946. Worcestershire Records Office have earlier years
- Rowley Regis - 1950 onwards. Staffordshire Records Office have earlier years
- Smethwick - 1899 onwards
- Tipton - 1919 onwards. Earlier years are included in Wednesbury Registers
- Wednesbury - 1877 onwards
- West Bromwich - 1883 onwards
- Darlaston - 1920 to 1947
Please note that we do not always have complete runs of registers, some years may be missing. Also they are not surname indexed.
Cemetery records and electoral registers are all on microfiche.
Burial and cremation records
Sandwell Valley Crematorium hold the burial and cremation records for the following cemeteries and crematoria.
- Fallings Heath, Wednesbury
- Health Lane, West Bromwich
- Holly Lane, Smethwick
- Rowley Regis
- Thimblemill, Smethwick
- Uplands, Smethwick
- Wood Green, Wednesbury
Families are able to view the burial records free of charge by coming along to the main office located at:
Sandwell Valley Crematorium
Newton Road, West Bromwich, West Midlands B71 3SX
The cremation records are not available for families to look through but information can be provided free of charge from our Bereavement Services staff. Please call 0121 569 6701 or email email@example.com.
Records for local churchyards are held at Sandwell Community History and Archives Service. Alternatively you can contact local churches directly using church search websites.