The Big Sleuth in Sandwell
We’re very proud to be part of The Big Sleuth – a brilliant public art trail bringing bear-illiant bears to Sandwell.
The 10-week project is in aid of Birmingham Children’s Hospital Charity. You will see up to 100 decorated bear sculptures on display in the region’s streets, parks and open spaces.
A sleuth is the collective noun for a group of bears and you’ll be able to sleuth your way around the trail which includes Sandwell, Birmingham, Solihull, Sutton Coldfield and Resorts World.
We have six bears in Sandwell - three in West Bromwich and three in Bearwood. All of the bears have been designed by young people and local artists.
The bears are located:
- Lightwoods park near the skate park (BearTrix Blocker, commercial sponsor - Skate Hut)
- Bearwood bus station, Bearwood Road - (Bussy Bear - commercial sponsor - National Express)
- Warley Woods near the fountain and play area (Bentley the Bearwood Bear designed by Positive Activities Innovative Development and Rebecca Cresswell)
- High Street near the Farley Fountain (Bearolution – designed by West Bromwich Youth Council and Creative Arts)
- Outside Central Sixth, Sandwell College (Picnic Time For Teddy Bears - commercial sponsor - West Brom Building Society)
- Sandwell Park Farm (Uncle B – designed by looked after children and Cradley Heath Creative)
The trail, which is being run in conjunction with Wild in Art, starts on Monday 10 July and runs until Sunday 17 September.
Big Sleuth events in Sandwell
- Saturday 15 July - magic, balloon modelling and DJ, 11am-3pm near the Bearolution Bear at Farley Fountain in West Bromwich.
- Sunday 30 July - teddy bears picnic at Lightwoods Park, Bearwood, 12-2pm.
- Saturday 19 August - skatepark event sponsored by Skate Hut, more details to follow.
- Join us for free tennis at Sandwell Valley tennis course every Monday during the trail, 6-7pm - show a selfie with one of the bears to join in!
- Every Tuesday, there's a walk around Priory Woods Nature Reserve, meeting at Uncle B - the bear outside Sandwell Park Farm (B71 4BG). Meet at 10.30am walk is 2.5miles lasting one hour.
- And every Thursday, there's also walk around Sot's Hole Nature Reserve, meeting at Uncle B - meet at 10.30am, the walk is 2miles and lasts one hour.
During the time the bears are with us, we want as many people as possible to visit all of the bears, check out The Big Sleuth app and have fun!
Three of the bears will be auctioned off in aid of Birmingham Children’s Hospital Charity in the autumn, while the three community bears will be found new homes around Sandwell.
For more details and to see a map of the whole trail, go to The Big Sleuth website.