Taking on apprentices and employing young people
Are you a business interested in taking on an apprentice or employing a young person?
The Sandwell Guarantee could help you to recruit a young person aged between 16 and 24.
The council may also be able to fund up to half of a young person’s wages for the first 12 months.
If you want to employ a young person or take on an apprentice, the position you offer them must:
- Be a new post - not replacing existing posts or staff
- Last for a minimum of 12 months
- Be based at a business or organisation in Sandwell (or within reasonable travelling distance from Sandwell)
- Where appropriate, have the ability to be turned into an apprenticeship.
The council will help you every step of the way through the recruitment process. We’ll find a suitable young person, interested in your area of business.
If you take on an apprentice or employ a young person through the Sandwell Guarantee scheme, they will need to be paid the following National Minimum Wage rates (or more):
- Minimum wage for apprentices in the first year of their apprenticeship - £3.50 per hour
- 16 and 17 year olds - £4.05 per hour
- 18 to 20 year olds - £5.60 per hour
- 21 to 24 year olds - £7.05 per hour
The council may also be able to help you find funding for up to half of a young person’s wages for up to 12 months. Eligibility criteria applies - please get in touch for details.
We’ll also give ongoing mentoring support for the young person at your place of work.
To get involved in the Sandwell Guarantee programme, you will be asked to sign a service level agreement that commits you to offering quality employment opportunities.
Interested? Get in touch
If you would like to find out more about taking on an apprentice or employing a young person through the Sandwell Guarantee, fill in the online form and we'll get back to you.
Alternatively, you can get in touch with our Think Sandwell team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0121 569 2099.