Applying for a job with us
You can see job vacancies with Sandwell Council on our jobs page.
Applying for a job online
To apply for a job online, click 'Apply for this job' on the job advert page and follow the instructions.
The online application has several pages of questions and may take some time to complete.
- You will be asked to provide details about your employment history, references and qualifications, etc.
- The form can be saved so you do not have to complete it in one go if you do not have all the relevant information to hand.
- Please remember to save your details and mark each section as "complete" before moving on, this will safeguard against the loss of any information you input.
- You can edit the information you have already entered in previous sections. Please remember to save your details and mark each section as 'complete' before moving on.
After all sections have been completed you will see a link to submit your application. Please note that the system will log you out after 40 minutes so you should periodically save your work.
Your application will determine whether you are called for interview so it is important that you take your time and complete it as fully and accurately as possible.
We have put together a checklist to assist you in completing your application.
Completing the job application form
The shortlisting panel will decide who to interview based on the criteria outlined on the personnel specification. The specification lists the qualities which are essential to undertake the job. It is important that you demonstrate in your application that you possess these qualities and are capable of carrying out the duties of the job as listed in the job description.
These qualities, skills and abilities may have been obtained in employment, education, voluntary or personal life. Identify which of these match those on the Personnel Specification and say how you gained them. Give examples where possible. If you are using a qualification to demonstrate a skill, please ensure that you tell us where and how you gained that skill.
The application form is designed to enable you to give the shortlisting panel full and clear information about yourself. To ensure we treat all applicants fairly we do not make any assumptions, we only look at what you have told us about yourself on the form.
For some jobs, particularly where they are of a specialist nature, or where we expect a large number of applications, you may be asked to prepare a piece of work to send in with your application. It is important that you put as much effort into completing this as you did for the rest of the application as it will form part of the decision whether you should be called in for interview or not.
Every application is given equal consideration, and if the selection panel feel you meet all the essential requirements contained in the Personnel Specification you will be shortlisted and invited to the next stage of the selection process, which could be a skill test, a presentation, a formal interview or a combination of, or all of, these.
If you have a disability and require assistance in making an application, or have experienced a problem whilst applying for a position, please contact the Recruitment Team:
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 0121 569 3300
- Application instructions and further details are provided on the recruitment page of each job advert.
- Please note that CVs are not accepted, submitted alone or with an application form, except from disabled applicants.
- No job applicant will receive less favourable treatment on the grounds of sex, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origins, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, age, trade union activity, political or religious belief.
- Job sharing facilities are available for all posts unless otherwise stated.
- Canvassing of councillors will disqualify your application.
- Trade Union Membership is encouraged.